Courses We Teach
Jos V. M. Welie, PhD
Professor, Center for Health Policy and Ethics (School of
Professor, Graduate School
PhD, 1994, Radboud University School of Medical Sciences (Nijmegen,
JD, 1990, University of Maastricht (The Netherlands)
MA, 1987, Radboud University (Nijmegen, The Netherlands)
M.Med.S., 1987, University of Maastricht (The Netherlands)
Dr. Welie teaches in our online graduate program: Master of Science in Health Care Ethics.
Dr. Jos Welie studied medicine and law at the University of Maastricht, and philosophy at the Radboud University of Nijmegen, both in the Netherlands. He received his doctorate from the Radboud University School of Medical Sciences with a dissertation in the area of medical ethics. A Fulbright grant brought him to Loyola University of Chicago where he studied clinical ethics and medical humanities.
Before joining the Center for Health Policy and Ethics, Dr. Welie taught at universities in San Antonio, TX; Nijmegen (The Netherlands) and in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami metropolitan area.
His primary areas of research include:
- Issues in death and dying
- Chronicity and care for chronic patients
- The history and future of health sciences education in Jesuit universities
- The relationship between health care ethics and health law
- Philosophy of medicine, in particular, the relationships between philosophical anthropology and medicine
- Welie Jos VM. Social Contract Theory as a Foundation of the Social Responsibilities of Health Professionals. Medicine, Healthcare and Philosophy Online First™, 15 October 2011. DOI: 10.1007/s11019-011-9355-7. On-line at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/k00246v227773w6l/fulltext.pdf. Printed version: 15,3 (2012) 347-355.
- Vernillo, Anthony, Welie, Jos VM, Naidoo, Sudeshni and Malamud, Daniel. The Challenges of Oral-based Diagnostics in Extending the Role of Dentistry as a Health Care Profession: Property Rights, Privacy, and Informed Cnsent. Journal of the American College of Dentists. 78,3 (2011) 33-40.
- Welie, Jos VM. Pitfalls of Legal Regulation to Improve End-of-Life Care. The Example of Artificial Nutrition and Hydration. Online Journal of Healthcare Ethics 2010, 6(10): 1-26. On-line at http://test2.ojhe.org/index.php/ojhe/article/view/131/158
- Broers DLM, Brands WG, Welie, JVM & de Jongh A. Deciding about patient requests for extraction. Ethical and legal guidelines Journal of the American Dental Association 2010; 141:195-203
- Speers, Richard D; Brands, Wolter G; Nuzzolese, Emilio; Smith, Denny; Swiss, Peter BF; van Woensel, Marcel; and Welie, Jos VM: Dentists and Torture. The Developmental History of a New International Declaration. Journal of the American Dental Association, 2008, 139(12): 1667-1673.
- Welie, Jos V.M. (Ed.). (2006) Justice in Oral Health Care: Ethical and Educational Perspectives. Milwaukee: Marquette University Press.
- Welie, J. V. M. (2006/2002). An educational guide on end-of-life care law and public policy in Nebraska. Lincoln, NE: Nebraska Coalition for Compassionate Care.
- Have, H.A.M.J. & Welie, J.V.M. (2005): Death and Medical Power. An Ethical Analysis of the Dutch Euthanasia Practice. London: Open University Press.
- Welie, J.V.M. (2004): Is Dentistry a Profession? Journal of the Canadian Dental Association. Vol. 70. Part 1: pp 529–32; Part 2: pp. 599-602; Part 3: pp. 675-678. Also on-line: Part I: Professionalism Defined.; Part II: Hallmarks of Professionalism ; Part III: Future Challenges.
- Welie. J.V.M. & Kissell, J.L. (Eds.) (2004): Jesuit Health Sciences and the Promotion of Justice. An Invitation to a Discussion. Milwaukee: Marquette University Press, 2004.
- Welie, J.V.M. & Welie, S.P.K. (Eds.) (2001): Decision-Making Incompetence. Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy 4/2.
- Have, H.A.M.J. ten, & Welie, J. V. M. (Eds.). (1998). Ownership of the body. Philosophical considerations on the use of the human body and its parts. Dordrecht (The Netherlands): Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Welie, J.V.M. (1998). In the face of suffering: The philosophical foundations of clinical ethics. Omaha, NE: Creighton University Press.
View a Snapshot of Dr. Welie's work: